Developments in intraocular lens technology have considerably improved the success rates of PRELEX surgery. However, there remains a trade-off for reducing your dependency on glasses, which is that all multifocal lenses have the potential to cause haloes and glare. This is most evident when driving at night, but can also be annoying when under bright strip-lighting.
The simple statistics are:
- Without multifocal lenses 90% of patients need to wear reading glasses and 10% suffer glare.
- With multifocal lenses 10% of patients need to wear reading glasses and 90% suffer glare.
- YAG laser capsulotomy treatment is often required at 3 months.
- A small number of patients cannot get used to the multifocal lens, which then needs to be removed and swapped for a monofocal lens.
- 5% of patients express some disappointment with the multifocal lens.